Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The book series sweeping the nation....


Twilight!

This client contacted me and rather then want the usual twilight cake (checker pattern, chess pieces, etc.) She wanted one based on a design her daughter drew up. Apparently, her daughter is a fan of all the cake shows and had a sketch of her "dream" birthday cake. Mom found it, sneakingly took it, and promptly contacted me to create it. (I was thrilled to do this cake since the young lady and I share our special day!)

I must give it to this young lady, she had a pretty great design (decorating in her future? I think so!) and I was very pleased with how it turned out. I did have to change the fact that in her drawing, the tulip was laying draped over the K. I tried it, but it left a massive area blank on the top of the cake and swallowed up the K so that the letter was no longer recognizable.

In the end- the cake was really stunning. The white background was sprayed with pearl dust before the lace was put on, the red K and ribbon shimmered with disco dust, and the tulip was dripping with life like blood. The board was covered and hand painted in a checkerboard pattern.

I didn't take the time to do a tutorial on the tulip, but Diane's Decorating Diary has a great one so check it out!

No comments: