Friday, July 10, 2009

Missing my family


Last week I did something I don't normally do- I rejected many a cake order to take a week off. It was for a good reason- my family was coming to visit!
By family, I mean my cousin (and best-est friend), her 4 kiddos, and my grandma. I hadn't seen them in years and was thrilled that they came.

I was able to show off some of the great things of the Kansas city area like shopping, art things and museums. With 8 kids between the two of us (and 1 older lady and 1 man) we were a sight to see and plenty of people here showed no shame in staring. We wanted to say "haven't you ever seen a kid before?!" But I'd like to hope my fellow Kansas Citians were only gawking at the cuteness of them.

It was also my grandma's 81st birthday while they were here. While I know grandpa was missing her, I was so thrilled to spend such a special day with a special lady. Every one who knows me knows that birthdays don't happen unless there is cake to be had, so I planned and shopped and was excited to make grandma a masterpiece......... until I realized that to make something (even simple) was going to take about 6 hrs of my time, precious time that could actually be spent with my grandma. So, I took a deep breath (3 or 4 actually) walked past the cupboard of supplies, and instead went and purchased my grandma her favorite pie- lemon meringue. (Only top of the line and fresh of course).

I got the kids together and we went to work decorating this pie once we got home. As grandma took the first bite, I was still feeling a bit guilty about not using my talents to create a cake she would never forget, she said through chews, "This is SO much better then cake!"- I knew this was the right choice. This would be unforgettable for her! We spent the rest of the day spoiling grandma. It was so great!

I'm attaching a picture of my happy grandma and her decorated pie.

No comments: