Saturday, July 11, 2009

Vroom, Vroom- Cars!


Good morning!

Sharing my grandma's pie yesterday made me remember some great times and sad times I had with her as a child.
One particular day stood out to me as I reminisced. It was her 60th birthday, and we were having a big backyard BBQ, complete with..... cake!

Although I didn't make it, one of my aunts had. 1 long sheet cake still in a glass pan.
My job to help was to carry the cake outside, through the garage and place in on a picnic table under the shady trees in the backyard. Sounds simple enough right?

Off to a great start I was halfway there when my hands slipped off the pan, glass hitting the hard cement and shattering into a million clear sharp dagger like pieces. I didn't know what to do so I ran away crying. Finding me sobbing and the cake mixed in with shards of glass, grandma assured me it was fine.... her birthday would go on...... it was just a cake.

I attribute this traumatic day as part of what helped be become what I am today.
I LOVE seeing people's faces light up when they have a truly extraordinary cake. I think a cake can and should be a reflection of the person it is made for- everyone of us unique and everyone of us extra special. I hope that I never have another day when I drop a cake and shatter someone's special day!

This cars cake is one of my favorite, Lighting is at the top and everything else is hand crafted and cut jut to look like a scene in Disney's movie. I'm sure there were no tears or disappointment when this little guy laid eyes on his birthday cake! THAT is my goal. And if I ever delivered any less I would be devastated. Just as I was that day, so many years ago, in grandma's backyard.

No comments: